Thursday, September 14, 2017

Lasagna Skillet - You won't believe how easy this is!

So......we are all alive and well.  Feeling quite fortunate that Hurricane Irma didn't smack us as hard as we thought she might.  If you'd like to read about our hurricane prep check it out HERE (I have a good 15 Bean Soup there and links).

While this photo doesn't show you how luscious this skillet meal was.....believe me, it's a keeper.  I didn't have cherry tomatoes so I used the vine ripe ones we had.  This baby is packed with corn too and lots of cottage cheese.


skillet lasagna

It calls for ricotta and I think I will use that next time but, trying to keep it healthier, I opted for cottage cheese this time.

Farmer's Market Skillet Lasagna
Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 zucchini,  thinly sliced
  • 3 ears freshly shucked corn
  • 1 ½ lb cherry tomatoes, divided (I used vine ripe tomatoes this time)
  • ¼ cup basil, thinly sliced
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 8 oz lasagna noodles, broken into thirds (next time I will use 6 noodles)
  • 2 cups ricotta cheese (I used Cottage Cheese this time)
  • 8 oz shredded mozzarella
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 450F. Halve 1 lb of the cherry tomatoes. Set aside.
  2. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic to the pan and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the zucchini and corn. Saute until zucchini just starts to become tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in the halved cherry tomatoes and basil. Saute until starting to release their juices, about 7 minutes.
  3. Add the water, vegetable broth, and noodles to the pan along with a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until lasagna is tender and most of the water has evaporated, stirring every 5 minutes.
  4. Uncover and stir in the ricotta cheese. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
  5. Top with dollops of the mozzarella cheese as well as the remaining cherry tomatoes. Place in the oven and bake until cheese is melted and beginning to brown and tomatoes start to blister. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.

I grabbed this recipe from Joanne at Eats Well with Others, original recipe may be found HERE

Linking up with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, yum!!! That looks like my kind of meal!! I wish there was a save button on blog recipes like there is on Facebook! I don't have a printer here at the camper so I'll have to remember to print this off when I get home! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, if you'd like I can email you the recipe. Let me know. Thanks so much for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have expected a few Italian herbs in the lasagna! The technique is tempting -- would be less work than layering and baking!

    Best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful and I think I can still find both basil and the veggies at the market. I'll look for the ingredients next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delighted to hear all is well, Tina...thanks for the recipe too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mae, it's hardly any work at all and of course it's not a traditiomal lasagna. Very good though.
    BFR, this is a keeper....and easy!
    Thank you, Louise. Hope you are well, thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you came through okay! Things looked grim for Northwest Florida for a bit there. This looks amazing though I'm not so sure on the addition of corn. I like corn but not sure with all the flavors here. Though come to think of it I've liked corn in summer pastas with pretty similar ingredients so never mind! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you made it! I don't like cottage cheese so I would go with the ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good lasagna recipe and I love that this is just one skillet! Will ty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm, it looks so delicious!

    But why aren't you using some tool to make recipe cards for your recipes?
    Here is a good one: http://www.recipesgenerator.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........